WOMEN AND GIRLS FUND 2017 GRANT AWARDS
The Women and Girls Fund provides grants to qualified area nonprofit organizations after a competitive proposal review by a committee of trustees. Preference is given to proposals and programs that respond to pressing needs and enhance the quality of life for women and girls in Waukesha County.
BLESSINGS IN A BACKPACK $5,000
This organization provides backpacks of food to poverty-level, school-age children so they do not go hungry over the weekend. This grant will provide food for 50 children in the Waukesha and Oconomowoc school districts every weekend throughout the school year.
HEALING HEARTS OF WAUKESHA COUNTY $10,000
Children and families experiencing grief because of a death, divorce, incarceration, separation, deportation, abandonment or other life-altering event receive peer-to-peer support to help them develop coping skills to deal with their loss.
LAD LAKE $8,385
A sensory enrichment environment, therapeutic recreational items and a meditation garden provided by this grant will help children from troubled homes enjoy a calming atmosphere as they transition to this short-term care facility.
MUSKEGO SENIOR TAXI SERVICE $5,000
Senior citizens and young adults with disabilities have few options in this community with no public transportation. This grant will subsidize vehicle maintenance and gasoline purchases to provide 4,000 rides to 250 clients.
WISCONSIN WOMEN'S BUSINESS INITIATIVE CORPORATION $10,000
This grant will provide services to help women start their own businesses and ongoing support to women who want to grow existing businesses.
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY OF WAUKESHA COUNTY $10,000
This grant will help fund Habitat’s 2017 Women Build project on White Rock Avenue in Waukesha. The project helps women learn construction skills while building two affordable homes for low- and moderate-income families in Waukesha County.
HEBRON HOUSE OF HOSPITALITY $8,500
This grant will help sponsor two families living in this homeless shelter for 30-40 days. During this time, Hebron House provides shelter, food, counseling and other services to help the families become self-sustaining.
LAKE AREA FREE CLINIC $9,908
This medical clinic for uninsured families will be able to provide medication for all of its female patients with acute and chronic illness for four months.
ST. JOSEPH'S MEDICAL CLINIC, INC. $8,000
Providing free care to those with little or no insurance, St. Joseph’s Medical Clinic will expand outreach to ensure access to women’s health care and provide education on the need for preventive care.
THE WOMEN'S CENTER $10,000
This organization’s emergency shelter, supported by this grant, provides safety and basic needs, case management and advocacy, and access to comprehensive programming that empower women to break the cycle of violence for them and their children.
2016 GRANTS TOTALED $95,000
- $10,000 to ARCh, The Association for the Rights of Citizens with Handicaps, for the STRONG G.I.R.L.S. (Gaining Independence, Resiliency, and Life Skills) program to aid in reducing the risk of exploitation and abuse
- $10,000 to Best Buddies to support the Waukesha County Best Buddies School Friendship Program serving 3,156 students at 46 chapter schools
- $5,000 to Caring Place for the Creative Therapies Program which contributes to the enrichment and enhancement of daily life for the aging population
- $10,000 to Donna Lexa Art Centers for the Art4Vets Program serving 2,054 female veterans in Waukesha County which strives to build self-esteem and confidence
- $10,000 to Easter Seals Southeast WI to support the Safe Babies Healthy Families program serving 350 area families annually
- $10,000 to Girl Scouts of WI Southeast to help form teams for the First Lego League Robotics competition exposing local girls to STEM programming
- $10,000 to Hope Center for the A Hand Up Program which provides women and children living in poverty a “hand up, not a handout”
- $10,000 to UW Waukesha County Foundation to provide financial assistance to fifteen nontraditional female students through the Paving the Path to College program
- $10,000 to Waukesha Community Arts Project for the Leadership Through the Arts program which serves high school girls as they explore college and career paths
- $10,000 to Waukesha County Community Dental Program to help provide 100 low-income pregnant women and their babies with dental care and oral hygiene education through the Healthy Smiles for Moms and Babies project
2015 GRANTS TOTALED $85,000
- $10,000 to ABCD, After Breast Cancer Diagnosis for recruiting and training 50 new mentors, and provide continuing education and support workshops
- $10,000 to Celebrate Children Foundation to assist women-owned family childcare businesses to achieve National Association for Family Child Care accreditation
- $10,000 for Habitat for Humanity for the Women Build project to learn construction skills by helping to build a home for a low income family in Waukesha
- $10,000 for Interfaith Senior Program to fund a coordinator for the Faith in Action Program which supplies community outreach and volunteer recruitment to enable low-income elderly women and women with disabilities to live safely in their homes and stay connected to the community
- $10,000 to Junior Achievement to provide Financial Literacy experience to 520 elementary school girls through the Building Blocks for Success Program
- $10,000 to the Lake Area Free Clinic to provide female patients with medication for three months
- $10,000 to Parents Place to support the Understanding and Managing Anxiety Program for families experiencing abuse, neglect, domestic violence or custody disputes
- $15,000 to the National Alliance on Mental Illness to provide peer support and educational services for 300 women affected by mental illness and 40 hours of continued education for three female peer specialists
2014 GRANTS TOTALED $75,000
- $5,000 to Waukesha County Community Dental Clinic for improving oral health for underserved women in Waukesha County
- $10,000 to University of Wisconsin – Waukesha Campus for Paving the Path to College program
- $10,000 to The Women’s Center for the emergency shelter
- $10,000 to Waukesha Community Arts Project for team leadership development program
- $10,000 to Girl Scouts of Southeast WI for their Latina initiative
- $10,000 to Safe Babies Healthy Families for home visitations
- $10,000 to ACAP/Donna Lexa Art Center for improving self-image of women with disabilities
- $10,000 to United Cerebral Palsy for their respite care
2013 GRANTS TOTALED $60,000
- $2,500 to ARCh (Assoc. for the Right of Citizens w/Handicaps)
- $5,000 to Girl Scouts of WI Southeast for their Latina Initiative for the Girl Scout Leadership Initiative
- $2,000 to Hope Center for their Hope Center Clothing Shop
- $2,500 to Interfaith Senior Programs for their Faith in Action Program
- $7,000 to Lake Area Free Clinic for Diagnostic Support for Women & Girl’s
- $2,000 to The Linden Grove Foundation for its Dementia Beyond Drugs program
- $10,000 to The Parents Place for its Parenting for Success as a Single Parent Program
- $10,000 to Safe Babies Healthy Families for the Futures Without Violence program
- $4,000 to Waukesha Community Arts Project to support their Leadership Development for Middle and High School Girls
- $5,000 to Waukesha County Community Dental Clinic to expand critical dental health services
- $10,000 to The Women’s Center for its Transitional Living Program